Lottery Winners Stories

Sid R

Lottery Winners Stories

Post by Sid R » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Retired Georgia resident won $7.5 Million Mega Millions Jackpot prize

Christina Ford of Dallas, Georgia came forward as the winner of Georgia's unclaimed $7,500,000 Mega Millions Jackpot prize. She was one of the two lottery winners that split a $15 million jackpot July 22.

Winning numbers for the July 22 Mega Millions drawing were as follows (8-24-25-26-30, the Mega Ball was 7.)

Christina played using the Quik-Pick option and was in total disbelief when she saw the winning numbers drawn on her television.

she said. "I kept saying, 'Yeah, right. This can't be true.'"

After three months of planning, the lucky lottery winner decided to come forward and claim her winnings.

Christina claimed her prize at Georgia Lottery headquarters on Tuesday. She intends to use her winnings to vacation and share with her whole family.

The winning ticket was sold at Kroger #0634, 8876 Dallas Acworth Highway. The second ticket that shared the $15 million lottery jackpot prize was purchased in Virginia.

What I love about this winner is Christina was retired (age 64) what a great way to retire!!!!!!

cosyd53

Re: Lottery Winners Stories

Post by cosyd53 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 am

When the Powerball Lottery or Mega Millions Lottery jackpots grow and grow, many people try playing as a group. Well in December the Powerball jackpot continued to growi to $300 million,And one lottery group had grown to 166 people who pooled their money together for the Dec. 23 Powerball drawing. On Christmas morning Peggy Lunsford realized her work lottery group had in their possession a $1 million dollar winning Powerball ticket. Each person in the lottery winner group received approximately $6,024 before taxes.

stop-call

Post by stop-call » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 am

Here's a neat little lottery winners story, it will make you think.

A Canadian male won $1Million in the B.C lottery, now his co-workers are suing him for their cut in the winnings.

Hung Sengsouvanh poses with his $1 Million winning lottery cheque at the B.C. Lottery Corporation headquarters on Dec,17, 2018. Now four people who are claiming to be his co-workers are trying to sue him for their shares of the lottery winnings.

Four former co-workers of the B.C. lottery winner have launched a lawsuit and are trying to claim their share of the million dollar prize winnings.

The civil claim was filed by Ding Jiu Du, Haret Dagane, Elwood Prado plus Tounkham Homsombath in the B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver which alleges that Hung Sengsouvanh has collected money from them to buy the winning Lotto Max Maxmillions lottery ticket, which was a left over from a contribution to a Christmas potluck party at Surrey lighting factory where they all worked at.

Each worker contributed $5 towards the $25 lottery ticket, and the lawsuit says, plus an additional dollar each for a chance to win additional $10,000 prize, which then Sengsouvanh volunteered to buy the lottery ticket.

The Lotto Max lottery ticket was drawn on December 14, 2018, and was one of several winners of $1 Million. The defendants claim they didn't hear from Sengsouvanh over the weekend and only then found out that their ticket had won, this was through social media.

The plaintiffs asked that the defendant Hung Sengsouvanh was to provide them with their equal shares of the $1 Million prize, which would be $200,000 each. The defendant Hung has repeatedly refused to provide the plaintiffs with their equal shares of the winning lottery prize.

The lawsuit also names a John Doe as an additional defendant, who is a member or members of Sengsouvanh's family, and who have received some of the lottery prize money, this according to conversations between Sengsouvanh and the plaintiffs.

Global News was unable to reach Sengsouvanh for a comment and calls to the number connected to a Surrey property listed as his in the lawsuit have gone unanswered.

The B.C. Lottery Corporation did announce his lottery win on Jan. 3, and that Sengsouvanh said he planned to use the lottery money to travel back to his home country of Laos, pay off his debts, plus give some of the money to his children. That appears to line up with what the lawsuit says Sengsouvanh told the plaintiffs, including desires to pay off his mortgage, buy a new car and travel while also quitting his job.

The plaintiffs are very concerned that the defendant Hung, will spend their $800,000 portion of the $1 Million Maximillions prize money and render it unrecoverable.

Sengsouvanh and his co-defendants have not yet responded to the lawsuit, and a date for a trial or hearing has not yet been set to prove the allegations in court.

According to the rules listed on BCLC's website, prizes can only be paid out to the "rightful lottery ticket holder or group trustee."

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:21 am

Powerball Winner 90 Years Of Age Sues Her Own Son.

A 90 year old Florida woman who won $278 million from a winning Powerball lottery ticket 6 years ago is suing her own son and his financial advisers, claiming the lottery money was put into low return investments while she was being charged $2 Million in fees.
The lawsuit was filed by Gloria Mackenzie last month in state court in Jacksonville against her son Scott, and his financial advisers, and alleges breach of fiduciary duty, breach of the contract, negligence and exploitation of a vulnerable adult. Scott Mackenzie had the power of attorney over his mother's finances.

As the widow of a mill worker, and with little money until she was in her 80s, Gloria Mackenzie says she had very little education in managing a large sum of money and relied on her son. Prior to her good fortune, Gloria was living in a small rented duplex for $375 per month. The lawsuit said. Her income was modest and fixed, and was derived from her monthly Social Security plus small widow's pension. The low-return investments in CDs and money market accounts cost her tens of millions that she could have earned with another investment strategy. Scott Mackenzie said in court papers that there is no basis for a lawsuit just because the investments didn't grow the way his mother preferred them to and the value of the investments never decreased.

His mother's claims are based solely on the allegations that Scott introduced Gloria to an investment adviser who then put her in conservative investment vehicles, in accordance with her chosen investment objectives, and effectively preserved her wealth. In May 2013, then at the age of 84, Gloria Mackenzie purchased a winning Powerball lottery ticket worth $590 Million. After agreeing to get a lump sum and deducting taxes, Gloria Mackenzie took home a total of $278 Million. She then gave half of her winnings to her son, who had promised to take care of her for the rest of her life. When the family of Gloria Mackenzie's daughter informed her that the financial adviser, Hank Madden, had previously faced professional discipline, Scott Mackenzie threatened to disinherit them, the lawsuit said. Madden hosts a local radio call in show offering financial advice.

A judge previously dismissed a similar lawsuit but allowed Gloria Mackenzie to file the amended complaint. Even winning a large lottery does not mean your troubles are over, for some it is just a new set of troubles.

G Anderson

Post by G Anderson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 am

Illinois Largest Lottery Win Claimed!

Patricia Busking a retired health care worker became the winner of the largest Lottery prize in Illinois Lottery history when the second line of numbers on her Quick Pick lottery ticket matched all six numbers – 23 - 33 - 53 - 56 - 58 - (06) on the Friday, August 11, Mega Millions drawing. Illinois Lottery officials presented Patricia Busking with a $393 million ceremonial check to commemorate her history making lottery win. She opted to take the one-time payment of $246 million. The winning Mega Millions ticket was purchased in Palos Heights. She bought her winning ticket at Nick’s Barbecue, 12658 S. Harlem Ave., in Palos Heights, an eating establishment she ate at.

Here is a list of Mega Millions Facts

Mega Millions Jackpots start at $15 million

Overall odds of winning the actual jackpot is 1:258,890,850
Drawings are held at 10 p.m. (CT) every Tuesday and Friday

Previous Mega Millions jackpot winning tickets that were sold in Illinois include:

- March 2012, $219 million winner ($656 million jackpot split 3 ways–Maryland, Kansas and Illinois) winning ticket sold in Red Bud.
- January 2015, $270 million jackpot winning ticket was sold in Naperville.
- June 2015, $260 million jackpot winning ticket was sold in Blue Island.
- September 2016, $133 million jackpot winning ticket was sold in Tuscola.

G Anderson

Post by G Anderson » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Winnipeg resident wins $13.3 million in LOTTO 6/49 jackpot!

The Winnipeg resident won $13,345,152.30 on the February 27 LOTTO 6/49 649 draw with numbers he has been playing for about 30 plus years which are 4, 13, 22, 25, 29, and 39. The numbers are a set of numbers that played a part in his working life and have taken on a whole new significance in Murray Lewis’s retirement.

The winner said he discovered his big win fall hours after the draw, but chose to take some time before claiming his prize to let his initial shock sink in a little. He stated the numbers he played are not exactly special numbers, they’re stamp numbers. He worked in quality assurance,” he explained. He used his approval stamp number and some of the other guys numbers and started using them for playing LOTTO 6/49.

He stated just being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, is a dream come true, he said. “I don’t need anything fancy, taking care of my family and being worry-free is good enough for me.”

Teeoff2

Post by Teeoff2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:52 am

$2 Million lottery winner thought the machine must have goofed up

“I thought the machine must have goofed up – there were too many zeroes after the number two!” Larson said, but found out he indeed had won Western Lotto 6/49.

With his $2 Million in winnings from a Western 649 winning lottery ticket, he’s now considering buying a new SUV, as he has not had a brand new vehicle since 1962.

He also stated I he will share this win with my family, Larson said in a Saskatchewan Lotteries media release. It will also be nice not to have to worry about money for the rest of our retirement.

Larson purchased his winning lottery ticket at the Dewdney Avenue Pharmasave. He checked it at a nearby Co-op store and left in a daze. I thought the machine must have goofed up some how there were too many zeroes after the number two!” Larson said.

He went home and told his family, who were also in disbelief. Larson said he still doesn’t think the windfall has sunk in fully. He said "I’m going to have to see the money in my bank account before I believe it!”

Larson’s winning Western 649 numbers were 2, 3, 19, 24, 30, 46.

Gayle Fox

Post by Gayle Fox » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 am

Michigan couple wins $3 million

On June 14, 2019 Farmington Hills, Michigan, a man had to convince his wife they were millionaires after he won a whopping $3 million playing Mega Millions.

David Smith who was 59, matched all the five white balls that were drawn – 20-34-39-43-57 – on Tuesday’s drawing, that was good for a $1 million prize, but thanks to the Megaplier, the lottery player’s prize was multiplied by three for a now $3 million cash prize. He had bought the winning ticket online at MichiganLottery.com as he had done many other times.

David said “I was checking my tickets online Wednesday morning and out of the corner of my eye I saw the $3 million winner,” “I called my wife right away and it took me 10 minutes to convince her we had actually won the $3 million. She was still very skeptical, so she had me send her a screenshot and then she Googled the winning numbers herself.

David Smith’s $3 million prize is the largest prize ever won with a ticket bought at MichiganLottery.com. Two players have won $1 million. In February 2015, Pam Rawson, of Grand Junction won a $1 million prize playing the Diamond Payout instant game. In July 2016, Tammy Weadock, of Onsted, had won a $1 million Powerball prize.

Smith visited Michigan Lottery headquarters on Friday to claim their lottery prize winnings. He plans to complete some home improvements, also plans take his family on a vacation, and then save the remainder for their retirement.

Smith said. “Winning takes so much pressure off with our retirement which is coming up in a few years. We couldn’t be more thankful.

Doubledown

Post by Doubledown » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:57 am

New Hampshires First Mega Millions Jackpot Winner!

This is the fifth time in 2019 that the Mega Millions jackpot has been won! Tuesday night’s draw produced one single winning lottery ticket, which sold in New Hampshire, it matched all six numbers that were drawn to win the jackpot of $168 million or $108.5 million cash value. The winning numbers for July 23 were the white balls 1, 4, 23, 40 and 45, plus the gold Mega Ball number 11.

This is the very first Mega Millions jackpot winning lottery ticket ever sold in New Hampshire, yes there have also been several Match 5 winning lottery tickets sold in the state, including one worth $5 million back in 2014.

The jackpot had been rolling since a whopping $522 million jackpot was won in California on June 7 and that prize has yet to be claimed. Other jackpots were awarded this year which include a $437 million winner in New York on January 1, a $273 million winner in New Jersey on March 1, and a $50 million winner in Missouri on March 12.

In addition to the big jackpot winning ticket, there also were 612,456 other winning tickets Tuesday night at all prize levels wins. One ticket was sold in California, it matched the five white balls to win the game’s second winning prize. For matching four white balls plus the Mega Ball, 22 tickets won $10,000 each on Tuesday’s drawing and three of those were worth $20,000 each as they included the optional Megaplier, which was 2X for the July 23 drawing.

During this jackpot, there were more than 6.1 million winning lottery tickets sold, which included the jackpot winner and eight other tickets with prize values of $1 Million or more.